Dear Holy Ghost Families and Friends of Holy Ghost,
I pray that your summer has been safe, enjoyable, and relaxing and that you are not battling too much "corona fatigue". Rest assured that you remain in our prayers at Holy Ghost as we seek to adapt to the current reality.
I wanted to pass along some basic information regarding our policies and practices for the start of the school year on Monday, August 24. Our goal at Holy Ghost is to continue to provide the highest quality Lutheran Education with the spiritual, physical, and mental well-being of your child in mind.
A more detailed plan will be completed the week of August 2nd and submitted to the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) and posted to our website in keeping with the Governor's Executive Order No. 2020-142. Look for that posting the week of August 9th.
The highlights below will be reviewed on our Back-to-School Night on Thursday, August 20.
- In formulating our back-to-school plan I have consulted the MI Safe Schools Roadmap, CDC guidelines, and the Monroe County Department of Health along with reviewing plans from our sister Lutheran schools and the Archdiocese of Detroit guidelines for their Catholic schools in our area. The detailed plan to be submitted to the MDE and posted on our website will be reviewed by church and school leadership as well.
- We do plan to start the school year with in-person instruction, with your son and/or daughter in a classroom setting. Throughout the summer cleaning and sanitation has occurred and everything will be ready for the first day of school. In fact, some of the facilities have been updated with new flooring giving a cleaner look and greater space for learning to occur.
- Regular cleaning and sanitation of school facilities will occur throughout the school year. This includes athletic and outdoor equipment.
- Healthy Hygiene will be an emphasis throughout the school year. This includes basic hygiene, the provision of hand sanitizer throughout the school facilities, and the use of face masks. As of now, face masks (disposable or reusable) are required in the classroom and when passing in the hallways. Disposable masks are to be discarded daily and reusable masks washed daily. An extra mask is to be sent with your son and/or daughter should one get lost, damaged, etc. A signed medical excuse is required for a student not to wear a mask (just as is needed to be excused from physical activity in PE, etc.) and is to be on file in the School Office. (The face covering (read: mask) rule differs for Preschool). However, when students pass from classroom to classroom or bathroom or other area, masks are to be worn by all K-8 students). Have your son or daughter practice now wearing a face mask in order to prepare - start with 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc. so that your son or daughter becomes as comfortable as possible wearing the mask.
- Desks will be spaced as far apart as feasible to provide the safest amount of social distancing.
- Students will need their own supplies and no sharing will be allowed - including water bottles. See the Teacher Supply List for what is needed.
- Lunches will be eaten in classrooms for at least the 1st Quarter. Please respond to the survey sent to help us plan the Lunch Program this year.
- Before and After School Care will be provided following the guidelines from LARA for Early Childhood Centers and Care Centers. IF we are ordered to revert to Phase 3 (No in-person instruction) at any time during the school year, Child Care will be provided and our online instruction program will be implemented.
- Chapels will occur on Wednesday mornings in church with social distancing rules in place.
- Specials classes will occur in classrooms when feasible.
I think that this hits the highlights for now. Many items are still under consideration so your patience is appreciated as we evaluate the guidelines given and establish the healthiest and safest environment for your son or daughter and his or her spiritual, physical, and mental well-being.
Kindest regards in Jesus,